During the evening, WordPress released a major update for the blog software of the same name, WordPress 5.9 Josephine. The update includes, among other things, Full Site Editing: The new function gives you control over your entire website, directly in the WordPress admin area. You can also now say hello to the first default block theme in WordPress history. This isn’t just a new default theme, it’s a brand new way of working with WordPress themes. Block themes give you a wide range of visual options, from color schemes and font combinations to page templates and image filters. The Twenty Twenty‑Two theme was installed, you can find it with the other installed themes. You can download the update immediately or install existing installations via Dashboard › Updates with one click Update now upgrade to the new version. If your site supports automatic background updates, the new version of WordPress might already be active. More information about this update can be found below or on the WordPress blog.
Download -> Download WordPress 5.9 Josephine at WordPress
Version 5.9 of WordPress can be downloaded from the WordPress website:
Version 5.9 includes the following new features and improvements:
Full site editing is here
- It puts you in control of your entire site, right in the WordPress admin.
Say hello to Twenty Twenty‑Two
- And say hello to the first default block theme in WordPress history. This is more than just a new default theme. It’s a brand new way of working with WordPress themes. Block themes give you a wide range of visual possibilities, from color schemes and font combinations to page templates and image filters – all together in the website editing interface. By making changes in one place, you can give Twenty Twenty‑Two the same look and feel as your brand or other websites – or take the look of your site in a different direction. The Twenty Twenty‑Two theme is already available to you. It was installed with WordPress 5.9 and you can find it with your other installed themes.
Your personal paint box is waiting for you
- In addition to the Twenty Twenty‑Two theme, you can find other block themes with full site editing capabilities waiting to be explored in the theme directory. There are more to come! If you’re using one of these new themes, you won’t need the Customizer anymore. Instead, you have all the power to operate the styles within the website editor. Just like with Twenty Twenty‑Two, you build your website design there – with tools you need to work in an intuitive interface that comes alive in your hands.
The navigation block
- The blocks reach the site navigation, the heart of the user experience. With the new Navigation Block, you have a choice: a always-on responsive menu or one that adapts to the user’s screen size. Whatever you create, you can reuse it anywhere, whether in a brand new template or after a theme change.
More improvements and updates
- Do you like blogging or producing content? New improvements to the publishing flow help you tell more, faster.
Better block controls
- WordPress 5.9 brings new typography tools, flexible layout controls, and better control over details like whitespace, borders, and more – to help you get not only the look you want, but the polish that shows you care about details are.
The power of templates
- The WordPress template directory is home to a wide range of block templates created to save you time and provide pure website functionality. And you can edit them at your own discretion. You need something else in the header or footer of your theme? Replace it with just a few clicks. With a near-full-screen view where you can see the fine details, Template Explorer makes it easy to compare templates and choose the one your users expect.
A redesigned list view
- In 5.9, you can drag and drop your content exactly where you want it in List View. Managing complex documents is also easier: simple controls let you expand and collapse the content of sections as you build your site. You can also add HTML anchors to your blocks to make it easier for users to navigate the page.
A better gallery block
- Edit each image in a Gallery Block the same way you would edit the Image Block. Make each image in your gallery different (e.g. with different crops or duotone effects) or make them all the same. And change the layout by drag and drop.
via WordPress blog