WordPress today released the next update for the content management system of the same name, WordPress 5.8 Tatum. This version is named in honor of Art Tatum, the legendary jazz pianist. With the new version, support for additional blocks has been added, management of widgets with blocks is also possible. View posts with new blocks and templates, edit post templates. The overview of the page structure, the recommended templates for blocks and the ability to style and color your images are also new. Support for WebP has also been added: WebP is a modern image format that offers improved lossless and low-loss compression for images on the web. Support for Internet Explorer 11 has been dropped with this release. This means you might have issues managing your site that will not be resolved in the future. You can download the update immediately or install existing installations in the WordPress backend via Dashboard › Updates with one click Update now upgrade to the new version. If your site supports automatic background updates, the new version of WordPress might already be active. More information about this update can be found below or on the WordPress blog.
Download -> Download WordPress 5.8 Tatum at WordPress
Version 5.8 of WordPress can be downloaded from the WordPress website:
Version 5.8 includes the following new features and improvements:
Management of widgets with blocks
- With WordPress 5.8, widgets become blocks, and accordingly the views for widget editing under Design › Widgets and in the Customizer had to be changed. These changes make it possible to use all existing blocks not only in the content area but also in widget areas. This function can be deactivated with the »Classic Widgets« plugin, among other things.
View posts with new blocks and templates
- The new query loop block can display a list of posts, filtering by content type, categories, tags, author, and keyword. In contrast to the newest posts block, the list of posts consists of blocks that can also be changed. A significantly larger number of layouts is possible and a few layout suggestions are displayed when inserting the block so that you don’t have to start from scratch.
Edit post templates
- Templates of posts can be edited with the new template editor. This switches to a view in which the entire content of the template can be composed of blocks. For the editor to be active, a block theme must be used or a theme that has the function explicitly activated.
Overview of the site structure
- Sometimes all you need is a simple landing page, but sometimes you need something more complex. Because there are more and more blocks and the possibilities for complex content structures are ever more diverse, new solutions for easy navigation in the block structure are needed. A simple improvement is to keep the block structure list view open until explicitly closed. In this way, it can be used in parallel to working on the content without having to open it again and again.
Recommended templates for blocks
- It is now possible to make suggestions for block templates based on the block used and to convert blocks that have already been inserted into templates. In WordPress 5.8 this can be tried with the query loop block and the social icons block.
Style and color images
- Images and the Cover Block can be colored with the new Duotone filter.
Internet Explorer 11 is no longer supported
- Support for Internet Explorer 11 has been dropped with this release. This means you might have issues managing your site that will not be resolved in the future. If you are still using IE11, it is highly recommended to switch to a more modern browser.
Added support for WebP
- WebP is an image format that offers improved lossless and low-loss compression for images on the web. On average, WebP images are about 30% smaller than their JPEG or PNG equivalents, resulting in faster websites and smaller data volumes.
via WordPress blog