How do you install a new theme in WordPress? It is precisely this question and the various possibilities that I would like to devote myself to today. The following post will deal with how to install a new theme in WordPress with just a few clicks. The content management system also offers a file upload that can be used to upload and install templates. As a third option, I would like to explain how WordPress stores themes on the file system and how you can set up templates directly via (S)FTP or SSH.
In the second part of the article I would like to show you the WordPress repository of free themes. In addition to the free templates, there are also premium theme extensions that I will discuss.
How can I install a theme in WordPress?
There are three different ways to install a theme in WordPress. On the one hand you can upload a template that you have already downloaded via the backend, install a theme from the free repository directly on the server or upload it to the server via (S)FTP or SSH.
Official WordPress Theme Repository
You can reach the official theme repository of WordPress at the following address. Here you will find a variety of free templates with different focuses. In addition to blog and business themes, templates for photography, education, e-commerce, etc. are also provided free of charge.
Right at the top of the page you have the option to limit the results of the WordPress themes.
In addition to the most popular and newest WordPress themes, you can further narrow down the selection using the “Filter by functions” filter. It is possible to filter according to the layout, functions or the main topic. As a third option, you can also search directly for a WordPress template.
Download the WordPress theme and install it via the backend
As soon as you like a theme from the repository described above, clicking on it takes you to the corresponding detailed view. Here you can find more information, such as the number of active installations or submitted ratings. You can use the Preview button to display a demo system with this template. You can then download the WordPress theme directly to your computer using the Download button.
Of course, you now want to give your WordPress a new look. To do this, proceed as follows:
- After you have successfully logged into your WordPress, select Theme from the menu.
All installed themes are displayed on the following page. The currently activated template is displayed first.
- Now click the Add button, which is located at the top of this page.
- Then select Upload Theme
- A file upload will now appear, through which you can select the downloaded WordPress template.
- Confirm your selection by clicking Install now.
- The theme will now be loaded onto your web server (if file permissions are missing, you will receive a meaningful error message) and installed. Once the template has been successfully installed, you will be redirected to the design overview page.
- Last but not least, all you have to do is activate the theme you just uploaded.
Install the WordPress theme directly from the backend
In addition to the possibility to install themes from the computer, WordPress offers a direct link to the official template repository. So that designs can be loaded directly onto the web server. To do this, proceed as follows:
- First, log into your WordPress administration area and navigate to the Themes menu item.
- When you get to the overview page of the installed themes, click on the Add button.
- You will then be shown the WordPress repository with filter and search functions, as described above.
- You can also display the details of the themes via the WordPress backend. To see the details or a demo of the template, you just have to click on it.
- If you like the theme, you can set it up directly in your WordPress with a click on install.
These cost a little, but are much more powerful from the included functions.
Install WordPress theme via (S)FTP
In addition to the WordPress theme, you also need a tool that can be used to set up an FTP connection. For this I recommend the free program FileZilla, which is available for Windows and Mac. After you have downloaded and installed the tool, a valid connection must be established. Then navigate to the directory in which the WordPress files are stored. Now open the themes directory, which is located in the wp-content folder. Then upload the unzipped theme folder to this directory. Last but not least, you have to go to the administration area of your WordPress and activate the theme you just uploaded. This can be done via the design overview.