After you have activated your SSL certificate, you still have to make a few settings in your WordPress so that your website is switched to https:// and works correctly.
Customize WordPress URLs
- Log into your WordPress backend and go to the settings on the left
- Change http:// to https:// in the two fields “WordPress address” and “Website address” and save this change
Forwarding within WordPress
Your website will now be published via https://, but often the website is still shown as insecure.
There are several ways to prevent this, we present two plug-ins here.
Warning: Danger: With the plug-in variants, please always ensure that the Always keep plug-ins up to date and to delete plug-ins that are not required.
«Easy HTTPS Redirection» plug-in
Install and enable the Easy HTTPS Redirection plugin.
Activate the following options and then save the change.
- «Enable automatic redirection to the HTTPS»
- «Apply HTTPS redirection on: The whole domain»
- «Force resources to use HTTPS URL»
Better Search Replace plugin
Install and activate the Better Search and Replace plugin.
- Enter your website address with http under «Search for»
- With “Replace with” your website address must be entered with https://
- Then select all tables so that the website address is adjusted everywhere
- Make sure that “Ignore upper and lower case?” the tick is removed and the tick is set for «Also replace GUIDs»
- Then run the adjustment