Are you new to WordPress, have you forgotten your password or your website has been hacked? With these five solutions, you can reset your user password in minutes.
At the beginning of each section you will find the data and skills needed to implement it. Just choose the next solution if you don’t meet all the requirements.
Change password via user account
you need yours username and your passwordto be able to change your WordPress password using this method.
User Profile > User Account Management > New Password > Generate Password
- First you choose the WordPress backend Menu item User.
- After that you click your username in the list.
- In the user profile you will find the “User Account Management” item “Generate Password” button.
- You can use the button to generate a “strong” classified password or enter a character string of your choice.
- Finally, confirm the change by clicking on the “Update Profile” button.
Reset password via the login mask
you need yours username or your email address to be able to reset your WordPress password using this method.
WordPress login mask > Forgot your password?
- First you open the WordPress login mask.
- Then you click on the Forgot Password link.
- Enter yours in the form below username or your e-mail address and click on the “New Password” button.
- check yours inbox. You should shortly receive an email with a link to reset your password.
If you entered an incorrect username on the “Forgot your password” page, you will not receive an email. Instead, an info box appears above the form with the message “Error: Incorrect username or email address”.
Change Password via FTP (WordPress Theme).
you need yours FTP access data (Server, Username, Password) and your User ID to be able to reset your WordPress password using this method. Furthermore, basic PHP knowledge is required.
- First you establish a connection to your server with your FTP client.
- Open the functions.php File of your theme, you can find it at:
- Gap following function directly after the first, opening PHP tag.
1 // User ID
- Load the file back into the theme folder high.
- Finally you open your home page firstthen the login mask.
Don’t forget to remove the code from functions.php after successful login. Each time your site is called up again, including by third parties, your password is automatically reset. Only then can you successfully generate a new password via your user account.
Change password via phpMyAdmin
you need yours phpMyAdmin credentials (link to interface, username, password) to be able to reset your WordPress password using this method. Furthermore, basic knowledge of the phpMyAdmin environment is required.
Make a backup of the database before the following intervention. It is the heart of your site and can easily be damaged.
- First you open via the Structure tab the overview of your tables.
- Choose the wp_users table and click on the “browse” button.
- Search for yours in the user overview username. You can find it in the “user_login” column.
- Click on the “edit” button.
- Completely clear the “user_pass” field and enter your new password in clear text a.
- In the “Functions” column, to the left of the field, select the MD5 option. This feature encrypts your password.
- Finally, you confirm the action via the “Go” button below the form.
Change password via WP CLI (WordPress command line).
you need yours SSH credentials (server, username, password) to be able to reset your WordPress password using this method. Basic knowledge of the Linux shell is also required.
Lastly, a short instruction for WP CLI users. Connect to the server, open the WordPress directory and run the following commands.
- Find the right user ID from the user list.
wp user list
- Update the password for the selected user.
wp user update --user_pass=dein-sicheres-passwort